Allstate Offers Tips to Get Residents Prepared for Karen
Allstate offers preparedness tips for the coastal states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
Allstate reminds residents along the coast to consider taking a few quick and simple steps when it comes to preparing for Tropical Storm Karen.
Being prepared for a tropical storm or hurricane often means taking easy steps that can go a long way in protecting families and minimizing property damage.
When it comes to preparing for a storm like Karen, Allstate has tips at the Be Aware and Prepare website that encourages everyone to develop a plan before a storm threatens their community. It starts by simply understanding your insurance coverage and developing an evacuation strategy.
If it's safe to do so, Allstate suggests homeowners consider the following preparedness tips:
- Policyholders may have multiple insurance policies (car, boat, home, wind) with a variety of insurance carriers so it is important that they gather all insurance information so they can report claims to the appropriate carrier.
- Conduct a home inventory of your property. It's helpful to keep track of model numbers and stores where items were purchased. Keep your inventory, including photos and videos, in a safe place away from your home.
- Develop an evacuation plan that includes identification of safe areas, escape routes, meeting locations and plans for pets.
- Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit including a three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, radio and batteries, flashlight and a first-aid kit.
- Preparing for a hurricane or tropical storm means removing any diseased and damaged limbs from trees to keep them from blowing around during a storm and causing property or automobile damage.
- Purchase materials such as plywood that can be used to reinforce your windows, doors and garage doors. Install anchors and pre-drill holes for the plywood so you can install them quickly in the event of a storm.
- Install head and foot bolts in doors for extra protection.
- Gather important documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and identification. Make sure to place them in a waterproof container.
There's an App for That. Allstate's iPhone application, Digital Locker, can help you create a home inventory. Free and available to any iPhone user, the home inventory tool makes it easy to be prepared for any catastrophe because you can catalog belongings and keep that vital information in one handy location - right in your pocket. For more preparation tips, please visit www.allstate.com/catastrophe.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, serving approximately 16 million households through its Allstate, Encompass, Esurance and Answer Financial brand names and Allstate Financial business segment. Allstate branded insurance products (auto, home, life and retirement) and services are offered through Allstate agencies, independent agencies, and Allstate exclusive financial representatives, as well as via www.allstate.com, www.allstate.com/financial and 1-800 Allstate®, and are widely known through the slogan "You're In Good Hands With Allstate®." As part of Allstate's commitment to strengthen local communities, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate employees, agency owners and the corporation provided $29 million in 2012 to thousands of nonprofit organizations and important causes across the United States.
# # #
On Twitter @AllstateNews